Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mud, Dancing, and Food. Oh My!

This weekend I went to the BYX formal up in the great city of Gatlinburg, Tennessee and had such an amazing weekend that leaving Gatlinburg was not favorably looked upon (not to mention the horrendous traffic coming out of the city didn't help my desire to not want to leave.)


We (a group of 6 awesome people; Collin, Amanda, Erica, Alexander, Clay, and myself) traveled up on Friday and the adventure began. We picked up Erica and Amanda from their place with us dying with laughter and "Dueling Banjos" blasting through the speakers. And if that wasn't a warning of how much fun this weekend was going to be I couldn't tell you what was. The first stop, we got out and filled up with gas and walked away with free suckers. Don't ask me how that worked, just know that I was perfectly fine to have one especially since it was free. After we got to Gatlinburg and got settled in, I got one of the best view of the stars and overview of a city that I've ever seen in my life. You could see where the glow from the city stopped and the stars began and the further up you looked the more stars popped up and gleamed. And seeing that looking at the stars is one of my most favorite things in the entire world, something that constantly ran through my head was how lucky I was to be able to even get a chance have a view like this. 


After that a dance party proceeded to take place in the cabin of Tennessee Mountain Dream and hilarity ensued. After the party died and somewhat of a night's sleep the second day began. Our group got up and went to get pancakes (apparently this is an extremely popular thing in Gatlinburg) and then we set out on a hike. In the first fifteen minutes, Collin had taken off his shoes and he and Clay we bouncing from rock to rock up the river and the rest of us were following along on the more civilized path. The path got steep and muddy and I even asked Amanda (our fearless leader) to just stop for a minute so I could suck in some more wind because the thing I was doing could hardly be considered breathing. After getting through the trail and scaling a rock face we finally got to the top. (Clay and Collin caught up with us quicker than I thought possible since we had left them to their fun in the river.)


This amazing view right here is what I got to see whenever I arrived at the top of a 2 mile hike. Look at it. The picture doesn't even begin to do it justice. Walking through the mud, losing my breath, and scaling a rock face to get up to see this  was so much more than worth it. I was looking out over this scene and I said it was amazing, I was quickly told "It's more than that, it's majestic." And they couldn't have been more spot on with that adjective. After sitting up in this beauty our group and a few other friends headed back down and somehow ended up singing 90's songs and probably scaring hikers that were headed to the top along the way. 


Whenever we got down from the top, showered, and changed for formal, we went to a restaurant that was literally heaven on Earth. Mama's Farmhouse. Family style southern dinner, where the food never ran our and just like at any souther Mama's house they made you eat more than is healthy for you (or your formal dress) and every single bite somehow tasted better than the last. We stuffed our faces and headed to the dance where we had way too much fun and danced until the last song ended. 


To sum it up, this past weekend was a blast. Not necessarily the most academically motivating weekend but we all need a break from the grind every once and a while, right? I think it just tied me over so I can get to the next weekend. Pensacola. I've got to be doing something good because things are going so right.


Live Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment