Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Issue of Permanence

To say this weekend was "fun" would do a great disservice to the people I got to hang out with, meet, and have a great time with. I travelled down to Pensacola to hang out with my "brothers" from CK7 (And Stephen) and a GREAT time was had by all. I definitely needed the talks, time to relax, and the country concert that came from this weekend. I got to see Easton Corbin in concert! Let the drooling commence. He was a little hoarse, but hey no one is perfect and he still sang my favorite song from his album so this girl was happy. I also attended a high school rivalry game and talk about your electric crowds. And the most important game of the weekend? GEORGIA/FLORIDA. My Dawgs pulled it off and earned the bragging rights! (Thanks Marshall!) I may be a girl, but if there's one thing you need to know about me it's that I LOVE my sports. Watching, playing, coaching, whatever, this girl loves sports. 


Not only did this weekend bring much needed relaxation (and severe lack of studying, which I am making up for now) but it also brought a great appreciation for permanent friendships. I will be friends with these people my entire life and that is exciting. I mean who doesn't want something to last forever? AND, in typical God style the issue of permanence was brought up in my quiet time today. I'm still going through the great book of Romans (I'm a slow reader and I'm trying to dissect and digest every little nugget that comes out of this book so no judgement on the snail pace) and today I finished up chapter eleven and found some extremely great verses.


Romans 11:29-"For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable."


Now looking up the word irrevocable in the dictionary you will find this definition, "not able to be changed, reversed, or recovered; final" The last word is the greatest. FINAL. God's gifts and his calling are final. God shows his steadfast love and mercy here. Thru our messes he let's us keep whatever he's given us. In fact not only does he let us keep it, but he also gives us MORE. These gifts are as permanent as God's love, which means they aren't going anywhere. Now in a world that is all about "leaving the past behind" there is something nostalgic and comforting of the words "God's love is permanent." I worry about the changes coming up in my life and who I'll meet, keep in touch with, lose touch with, work with, but thru all of this I have the comfort of a permanent, endless, and final love.


Now for my favorite of the quiet time. Romans 11:36-"For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen." 


Just as I focused on one word in the previous verse, I'm pretty sure you know which one I'm going to choose out of this particular nugget of gold. ALL. God is more than just something, here we find out that he is everything. He gives us everything. Looking back at my life and seeing everything that God has given me is so overwhelming. God knows what to give us when we need it, yet he holds certain things from us until we are ready. (Even when we think we are ready enough.) And for that, I am thankful. All things. Mountains, Autumn, Halloween, purses, shoes, (you didn't think I could go without thanking him for something I really like now did you?) relationships, people, friendships, laughter, the sky, stars, cities, music, laughter, joy, tears, life, and hope. These things aren't even a few of the things God has given us. And the best part? We didn't earn it. Talk about mind blowing. In a merit based world all this seems a little nuts. However, let's think of it this way. No work yet forever and permanently blessed beyond compare... who wouldn't want that deal?


Live Today.




No comments:

Post a Comment