Monday, November 28, 2011

Perfect Timing

I've talked about my camp experiences many many times now. And probably will talk more about them as this blog continues to be written, but right now I want to look at a specific relationship that I got out of working with an amazing team. 

In 2003, I lost my brother, Andy, to complications from a car accident. I will never forget the sound of Mrs. Grove's voice over the intercom saying, "We need Miss Voyles to come to Mrs. Grove's office." And of course the entire classroom did the typical "OOOHHHHH" and I didn't think anything of it simply because I knew I hadn't done anything wrong (that day) and would sometimes get called to different offices to run errands during the school day. However that February afternoon was an exception. She asked me to sit down and told me that Andy had been in a car accident and that he was talking but they were going to move him to Savannah and I was getting checked out to go see him. I got to Wayne Memorial and got in the back of the ambulance and he told me words that remain to this day just between us. That was one of the last times he talked to me. He coded a few weeks later yet came out okay, and then only a few days after that he coded again and didn't fare so well after that one. He was brain dead. My brother who was the soccer star and jokester of anywhere he went would never play soccer again nor would he pull another prank. He passed away February 28 and my world was never the same. 

Along the way I acquired best friends that were like brothers to me. And I love them dearly. However my heart was shut off from ever wanting a truly older brother because of the pain that I had already gone through with one. My heart was shut off... until this summer came around. The first day of training I got to meet my team and knew that the summer was going to be a LOT of fun, but we were all anxious to meet the band. They were added later in the game because our guitarist was transferred to another team and they would be coming in late that first night of training so we would all meet them the next day. Well, we woke up the next morning and all of the sudden there were four more members of the team. I knew pretty much off the bat that these guys were legit and that they were going to be the center of a lot of fun for the summer.

But there was one person in particular that impacted my life. We instantly hit it off and called each other best friend literally within a few days of talking with each other. We just got closer throughout training week and one night I was particularly upset and we went for a walk. We were honest with each other and gave advice as it was needed. He listened to my problems, called me out on things, and was very honest with me even when he knew it would step on my toes. That walk was probably the one that began to open my heart up to the possibility of another older brother. 

I went into that summer sure that I didn't need someone to be my older brother. I couldn't have been more wrong. My resistant heart has been changed. God gave me an older brother. Throughout the summer, I could always ask him for advice. We always had fun together and laughed way too much. I knew that he would be honest with me, even when I didn't want to hear it. Some of his famous words were, "Keep your chin up." I can't tell you guys how many COUNTLESS times I heard those words throughout the summer. They kept me smiling through the roughest counseling job ever, a break up, and just plain out bad days. He became my older brother. We called each other brother and sister, we acted like it, "fought" like it, and definitely talked to each other like it. Even when camp ended, our brother/sister bond did not. 

There's not enough room for me to go into detail on how much this guy means to me. He always knows how to make me laugh. He always knows what to say whenever I'm freaking out. He challenges me in my faith. He encourages me. He is my brother. I wasn't supposed to have that job. I was originally wait listed. The band wasn't supposed to be on our team. But they ended up there. And it couldn't have been more perfect timing. God knew that it was time for me to have an older brother and have someone that would keep me sane throughout camp and throughout life. Andy will always be my brother, and I know he's watching over me in heaven but God knew I needed someone here on Earth to make sure I would always be okay. God definitely knew what he was doing when he put CK7 together.

God took away Andy, but he sent me James. And James if you're reading this, thank you for everything you've done for me. Thank you for the laughs, real talk, encouragement and love. "Clear Eyes. Full Heart. Can't Lose." I love you, brother.

Live Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment