Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oh, Hey Roses

Lately, to be honest, I've been getting very very stressed out with the whole applying to nursing school and covering all the bases deal. Shoot, even what I'm going to do this summer stresses me out. It doesn't help when your advisor tells you that you have to take 17 hours next semester to finish up your core... when I've only taken 12 hours pretty much my whole career. Although, then I remember someone else did it before me and someone else is going to do it after me, so I can do it. That and I am given the same 24 hours in a day that Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, George Washington, and many many other famous and brilliant minds were given. Many hours of prayer, thought, decision making, and pondering have gone into this decision for me to be a nurse from not only me, but other people around me and I KNOW this is the path I'm being led down. That my friends, is the comfort I have. God answered a prayer of mine and now I'm going to have to follow it. On Saturday I got asked a question that was only two words but made me analyze why I'm putting myself through multiple sciences and labs every semester, the question was "Why nursing?" Before I gave my answer I stopped and thought about it. I had always let Marshall be the main reason I wanted to go into the profession but for me to truly enjoy it and love being a nurse for the rest of my life I needed something deeper than just losing a friend. I knew the answer, "I want to help people. I want to let them know that while they are at their most vulnerable moment everything will be okay. I want to comfort them, make them better, and make them laugh. The patients are the reason I want to be a nurse."


After I said that answer, I knew that I had found my solid reason. And I also knew that I had not ever taken the time until then to really stop and analyze why. That made me wonder, what other things am I not taking the time to enjoy? It's amazing how much more you learn and take in whenever you are truly present in a moment. For example, this morning, I had walked to class before but I had never paid attention to where I was passing through on my almost jog across campus. I slowed my pace and began to look around, and then I laughed. (And for those of you who know my laugh, it definitely made other people think I was right on the borderline of crazy) I saw roses, actual roses, on a day that I told myself "Take time to stop and smell the roses." Not only had I  completely not known that I passed by the unseen roses on my speedy journey but I also passed by Warnell College of Forestry. Now, I am not a forestry major nor am I thinking to become one, but Marshall Coile was. Marshall was the man who had inspired me to become a Georgia fan and become a nurse (two pretty important things in my life) and I had passed by his school so many times, but never even knew it. I know now that the roses and a forestry school are there, now I am looking for more. Take time to smell the roses, and who knows, you might actually see literal roses along the way. 


Live Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment