Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Making the Wise Choice

Well Day 2 has come to a close and you can actually hear some of our kids' joints aching. I'm not joking. Overall it has been another FANTASTIC day at camp! We have had our first full 24 hours here and all the kids seem to really be enjoying it. Our church group host, Coach Colby, is super awesome and super talented at loving on our kids and being intentional with them to get to know their hearts more and minister to them in that way. 


We got to start out the day doing quiet times and it was such a joy to get to watch these kids pray and dive into the word of God early in the morning and start their day off talking to their creator. After that we went into I Can't Wait and of course the pastor asked the lovely question of "How much sleep did you get?" This one poor child had stayed up the entire night and actually had to be woken up to raise his hand to win the least sleep competition. Now my roomie and I have solved our not being able to wake up problem... we brought a coffee pot for the room. Some people say it's nuts, I say it's completely genius. 


My roomie and I braved Anderson, SC today (which is actually bigger than some people give it credit for) to go to our Mecca to pick up some supplies. This place is otherwise known as Target. Our directions were sound, we made it back in plenty of time to fill the coolers with new ice so our drinks were sitting in ice rather than floating like life preservers in water... Now filling up coolers with ice doesn't sound, nor is it actually that interesting; however, driving with coolers full of ice in the back of a church van is the interesting part. After we had manned up to get this large cooler and the smaller styrofoam filled, stacked on top of each other, and taken to the van we left our parking lot and headed around a corner. Then, a calamitous sound filled the van. That sound being one of ice flying EVERYWHERE. We stopped traffic, I hopped out, saved what ice I could and got to ride in the van the rest of the way to the boys dorm... it brought back a lot of memories from last summer. 


The kids are having almost as much fun as the adults are! During the time they had to call home today I got a lot of "Miss Taylor, do I really have to?" The answer was always, "YES." It's been such a relief to see that the kids are truly enjoying themselves and soaking up every minute of camp. Track times have been adventure for campers, staff, and adults alike. Today I volunteered to help with an all girls track, only to find out that the original staffer had become ill and was replaced with a girl that took over like a pro. I got to help her teach and figure out what to do with the track. (We always have to act like we know exactly what we're doing during track times, and this girl made her transition as seamless as it could possibly be.)


Our study today was about Daniel and how he decided to not eat the King's food. Thinking about the punishment he could've suffered makes me question whether or not I would have been able to stand up like that. We also talked about how Jesus made a determined choice to go into Jerusalem in his last days on Earth even though he knew that he was going to be turned over and sacrificed for our mistakes. That word sacrifice is our key word for the week and I pray that the kids come to truly know what it means. Sacrificing our lives doesn't sound fun (and it really isn't) but once we do give up our lives we discover everything we have been missing out on. And that is a reward greater than anything we could ever imagine.


I got to have some down time with the girls that came to camp with me tonight after church group time and their grasp on the Lord is just amazing. We talked about how to follow where God leads us whenever he's not actually in front of us, and let me tell you these girls have an understanding far beyond their years. All I can say to that is this, "Praise God! Praise God! Praise God!" He has blessed us beyond our imagination in our lives and the one and a half days we've been at camp. I can only imagine what will be in store for us tomorrow. 


Live Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment