Sunday, February 19, 2012

Withholding The Answer

It seems like in life there is never any end to waiting. Sometimes we are waiting in line, sometimes we are waiting for others, sometimes we are waiting on God, and sometimes we are even waiting on ourselves. But one thing is certain. In this life, you will be waiting.


Recently I've applied to be in the nursing program at Kennesaw State University here in Georgia and I'm having to wait ANXIOUSLY on the letter letting me know if I have been admitted or denied. I've checked the mailbox every single day, almost to the point where the post man and I are on a first name basis. I mean this guy is starting to shoot me strange glances because I try to be there whenever he puts the mail in our box. But as I have come to realize there is something that I can't control. It is the people that put the letter in the mail box. 


As some of you know I've been praying about more things than nursing school here lately and I'm in fact still waiting on the answer to those prayers even though it feels like they should already have been answered by now. But just like I can't control the people that are going to put my nursing school letter in the mail, I can't control God and his will for my life. Now don't get me wrong, we all have free will to make decisions and it's not like we are forced to go the path that is made for us, but as I have also found out the path without God on it isn't one that I want to be walking. Sometimes we think that if we ask God he will just automatically give us an answer, even if it's not the one we want to hear. But what if your answer is to wait? There are verses in the bible where it talks about waiting on the Lord and not just waiting with an anxious heart but waiting with a glad heart. 


Outside of patience (which I am still working on) learning how to wait with a glad heart is the hardest thing I've ever encountered. I mean, I don't know about you, but saying, "I'm, uh, just going to wait here with a genuine smile in my heart" isn't necessarily the easiest thing to say. I know that my answer on nursing school and these other matters will come. I also know that I may not like my answer, but it's the time in between the application and the answer that does not sit well with me. There have been times recently that I have sat in my car and just prayed with a broken heart, I do not demand an answer but I ask for the reasons of what seems to me a tormentous period of waiting. I plead and beg for an answer and yet I still have not gotten one. Yet, before I completely go crazy I remember a verse,


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with Thanksgiving let all your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6


Oh yeah, that Thanksgiving part. It's easy sometimes to forget that this isn't the first blessing that God has given so it's okay to wait for another. He still wants to hear your hurts and requests and pains, after all he is your father. But be sure to remember that Thanksgiving word before you turn it in to a "Why is this happening to me?" situation. God does nothing to harm you. He never has and he never will. Even the waiting is not harming you, although it may at some times feel like it is. 


Live Today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment