Thursday, May 17, 2012

An End and A Beginning

This Mother's Day weekend is definitely one I will never forget.


I was finishing my last day of work Friday and received a call that my Gan had passed away. I went home from work, and met my mom (who made a huge driving sacrifice of which I am eternally grateful) and we packed up my apartment and while she drove back to Jesup, I drove to Norman Park to be with my family. I got there to be received by a Pop, Angela, and Mary Jo and we laughed and talked about Gan. Don't get me wrong, we cried as well but we tried to celebrate her rather than mourn. Her funeral was on Mother's Day, 13 May 2012. There couldn't have been a better day to have a beautiful funeral for a woman who was like a mother to so many and was a spectacular grandmother. The picture above is one of me and Gan at this past Christmas, and one of my favorite pictures of all time. I couldn't be more thankful to Angela for arranging us to get them. 


Now I'm a terrible Mother's Day, birthday, random gift picker outer. I mean if there was a scale I'd be the reference for the bottom. But this Mother's Day I knew that the only gift I needed to give was one of support to my Pop. He is a man that has been through so much. After 52 years of marriage he was still very much in love with the girl who captured his heart in the tenth grade. I don't think there was really any secret to it. He loved God and he loved his wife. He took his covenant before God and his commitment to her very seriously. Even when she contracted Alzheimer's and she had to be put in an assisted living home he visited her every single day and made sure she knew that he loved her. She had called me Andy for the past few years and could barely remember Angela and Mary Jo's name sometimes, but she never forgot Pop's name. Every now and then she'd look at us and say, "Where's Jimmy?" or "Is Jimmy coming?" or "Jimmy, I love you!" Talk about your "Notebook" love, right? 


I came home after the funeral and the next day began my intern work for my home church. I can already tell that this summer is going to be a wonderful blessing and it hasn't even officially started yet. 


Similar to last summer, I will be posting updates of what I'm doing with the kids, random stories, and little stories of things occurring around the office. I can't wait to see what God is going to do through this Children's Ministry this summer.


One thing that I'm super super excited about is the fact that I'm working with my brother and best friend, Parker Wayne. The dynamic duo is back together for an entire summer and the fun has yet to truly begin. I have many pranks already planned and can't wait to have some pictures up... because guess who's birthday is happening this summer? Don't worry, I'll be writing about that as well. 


Live Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment