Monday, March 12, 2012

Gift of Hope

If you go and look at some of my pictures, there is something blue, shiny, and ever on my left hand in majority of these pictures. This is my favorite gift in the entire world. And my favorite back story of a gift to tell.


Christmas 2006: Earlier that winter season I spotted a blue topaz ring and immediately tried it on and fell in love with it. Got really excited and told my mom, and she said no. Well my dreams weren't too crushed because I knew that it was probably never going to happen but I still expressed my interest and love in that ring every second I could. Later, I received news that my dad was not doing too well and that he probably wouldn't last much longer. Needless to say, that put a damper on the holiday spirit. But, I knew that God had a plan and that the Christmas of 2007 would be special because it was probably the last one I would get to see my dad alive. And sadly enough January rolled around, and I was right. However, on Christmas day I was opening presents and noticed there was a tiny box towards the back that my mother wasn't giving to me. I kept eyeing it and the time FINALLY came when she let me open it. It was the blue topaz ring that I had picked out months before. That ring was so beautiful to me that whenever I looked at it, I saw the beauty of life and the beauty of hope in God.


Fall 2009: I went to a soccer game and put this treasured ring in the front pocket of my soccer bag. I put my bag down on the sidelines and went and played my game. The team goes out, does work, and we put a W on our record. I go and snatch up my bag and decide to head on home. Whenever I get home thought I realize something... My ring is no longer in my soccer bag. I immediately start a frantic search. I start calling everyone I can think of to see if they might have picked it up, I send out mass texts, I dump out my bag but the ring is nowhere to be found. I end up going my senior year without the ring that gave me hope. Without the ring that reminded me of my father and our last Christmas together.


Christmas 2010: I have spotted another beautiful blue topaz ring and know in my heart of hearts that I will not be getting another one. To make matters worse, I have found out that my great friend Marshall's battle with cancer is taking a turn for the worst and that this may be his last Christmas as well. And sadly enough, again I was right. January came around and Christmas 2010 was the last Christmas Marshall celebrated on Earth. But on Christmas Day, I noticed a little box in the back of the presents. Mom wouldn't let me open it and when the time finally came, I opened what is the most beautiful ring I have ever seen in my entire life. Tears overflowed and joy filled the room. 


My gift of hope was back. My beautiful, wonderful, amazing gift was back and even more lovely and special than ever. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wear this ring. It's my constant reminder of God's hope, love, and plan. It's a reminder that even though some things are taken away, God will always give you something even more precious and wonderful. For you are precious and wonderful to him. 


Live Today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment