Monday, November 18, 2013

It's Just Things

This weekend, some robber decided it would be a good thing to break into my car. Pop open my trunk and see what he could find.

There were a spectrum of emotions when I saw that my glove box was open and the contents of my car were scattered everywhere. My doors were locked, and I know I keep a semi-messy car but it is usually nothing like that. I was immediately relieved that I had my wallet on me for the weekend. 

Of course, I called 911, waited for an interminably long amount of time and when the officer finally arrived I let him in the gate. Walking up to my car it hit me that I had not checked my trunk. Then a panic set into my head. After the officer let me check my car, I popped the trunk. When I saw the inside, I immediately started crying. My crown boxes were open, empty, in disarray, and my Micheal Kors purse was gone. They left my lipstick (it's the small things) and a nice jacket. 

After phoning the police, my mother, my board, bank, and plenty of other people my brain was exhausted and I could only think about my class that I'd missed and the classes I had left to face for the day. In all of the hubbub I was able to forget that my car was broken into and was able to laugh, smile, and even do genetics. 

A purse can be replaced, a crown can be replaced. Sentimental value is extremely high but thank goodness I have pictures of those moments. Those things are exactly that... just things. My mom instilled in me the view point that things are something that can't go with you when you go. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the things that were taken but I'm not the one who knows where they are. But they can be replaced.

If anything, this is a lesson of humility. Time to focus on homework. It'll be okay.

Live today.


1 comment: