Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Comfort

On Thursday I will be giving a fifteen minute speech. Now, those of you that know me say "Oh please, you talk for fifteen minutes every time your mouth flies open." While that may be true, I don't usually talk about one topic for fifteen minutes. There's an ease and a flow to conversation that is sometimes missing in speeches or is presented in such a cheesy way that all you want to do is roll your eyes. 

I'm not a teacher. This I know. If I was then I wouldn't be nearly as scared. Those champions get up and talk for 55 minutes to 2 hours on one overlaying topic. 

This could quite possibly be one of the hardest speeches to write. Not only because of it's length, but because I'm going to have to dive back into my losses and present them. 

A couple months ago, a dear friend's mom called me and said "Taylor, you should incorporate loss in your platform." Well naturally I was confused and couldn't even think about where to start and then I got a wonderful opportunity to go down to Shands Lake Shore and give a speech along with 3 women who had lost their mother to breast cancer. Well, when God opens a door, you had better step thru it. 

Last week I went and met with my friend's mom and she gave me a verse that inspired it all; 

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

I may not have lost a blood relative from cancer, but I have experienced its evil and it's ability to take away things that we love. I have experienced loss and now it is my turn to comfort those going thru it.

So if your praying on Thursday around 12:00 pm, please lift up a prayer for the speech that will come out of my mouth. I pray it will be constructive and, most importantly, comforting.

Live Today.



No comments:

Post a Comment