Saturday, January 7, 2012

Just Keep Going.

7 January 2007. The day we put my father in the ground. I miss him. I love him. But there is someone much greater that goes above and beyond and needs to be honored for everything they have done. 


That person is my mother.

Growing up my mom was the strictest one on the block. (Probably in the whole county actually) She kept me and Andy in check and showed us both strict, yet completely unconditional love. In February of 2003, after my brother's car wreck she went to Atlanta's Shepherd Center to stay with him and support him. I stayed in Jesup, but I knew that she loved me from far away and she always told me that she did. After my brother passed away, she did something truly remarkable. 

She kept going.

I remember many days with her at the table writing thank you notes. Writing my brother's eulogy. And still loving me and showing me that the world keeps turning and God does love you even though bad things happen. There were days that we were both really sad, but she kept showing me how to stay strong and look toward a brighter future. She pushed me hard in school. I wasn't allowed to not get an average grade in a class. She always told me, "I'm going to expect the best out of you. I know what you're capable of and I will never accept any less than that." Some days I absolutely hated the fact that she thought I was smart, but she made sure I knew what I was capable of and that I held myself to high expectations. Then my freshman year another tragedy hit. My father passed away. And yet she did something again that is truly remarkable.

She kept going. 

She knew that God has a plan for all of this to happen to her. And she would not let these trials tear her heart away from a God that loved her more than life itself. She clung to God and showed me how to do that as well. There are many times I myself wonder how in the world she does it. However, I do know that without this warrior of a woman I would not even be close to the person I am today. She kept laughing, smiling, praying, singing, loving, and helping others even when her heart was breaking. 

She goes behind the scenes to make sure that people she loves and sometimes people that don't even know her can have a better day or an easier time with a task. She listens to me gripe about college. She's the best math teacher in all of Wayne County. She gives of herself until she has nothing else to give... and then she gives a whole lot more. She will tell you the honest truth even when you don't want to hear it. (Believe me, I know from firsthand personal experience) Yet she will uplift you and comfort you. She taught me to live life with God first, others second, and yourself last. 

So mom, this one's for you. You're the most resilient woman I know. I know I drive you completely INSANE sometimes (as you've so lovingly told me) but know I do love you, admire you, and watch you to see how to live my life. Thank you for never stopping and showing me how to roll with the punches and genuinely give to other without expecting a return. I'm a lucky girl to have you as a mother. I love you mom.

Live Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment