Monday, September 16, 2013

Changing Miss America

As many of my pageant friends, and probably non-pageant friends know, Miss America was last night. Of course with state pride, I wanted us to bring home the crown, but I am thankful that we were fortunate to make the top 15, 12, and top 10. So, congratulations Carly Mathis, you performed beautifully at Miss America and definitely made Georgia proud. 

However, what I'm not proud of is the so-called "American" reaction. I was perusing websites this morning looking for recaps of last night from different perspectives and I was horrified at what I saw. After Miss New York was crowned Miss America, a social media EXPLOSION began over what seems to be a very poorly thought out argument. Tweets saying, "Miss Al Qaeda" or "Miss 7-11" were everywhere to be found, but very few non-sarcastic congratulatory posts were anywhere to be seen. Nina is a beautiful Indian-American woman, and it's about time that the Miss America Organization reflects the diversity in America. 

Even Nina's talent was something different and I believe it truly made her stand out. I could never achieve moving my body like that. She showed her cultural aspect along with the challenge of putting that aspect to music and THEN she killed it. Many comments of her talent were "too funny to even really watch" or "we don't dance like that in America". Wake up America, some of your citizens do actually dance like that. And in my mind, this was a much classier and tasteful show than what you would see at a common American school dance. Her talent meant more to her than a minute and a half spinning around on stage. Her talent showed expression of her culture and beautifully demonstrated an art that is rarely seen on a national stage.

As a matter of fact, Nina's question addressed this issue specifically. Her answer contained, "Miss America is not who she was ten years ago and she is not now who she will be ten years from now..." Exactly. Nina is reflecting the changing country we live in today. And no disrespect towards Miss Kansas, but the judges simply did not pick her. Pageants are a game of who's going to get picked by 5 strangers. Even with one different judge, the outcome could have been completely different. 

I don't know how Nina will do as Miss America this year. I don't know her and have never met her in my life. Yet even with this little knowledge, I will support her as the representative of a system I am proud to serve. Shame on you America for saying you have welcome and opening arms, yet have closed minds. Nina is an American, a full citizen of this wonderful country, and deserves the respect and the backing of her country. 

America the brave is still fears what we don't know. 

Live Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment