Monday, August 19, 2013

Last Day, First Speech, and A Cast Dinner

"Show Your Bra" contest.
I'm sure that even by just reading the title you can guess that my weekend was a busy one. I feel like I'm constantly in a state of traveling from here to there, but I pray and hope that the feeling will only last for a couple of more days seeing as I don't have anything to do this week but school.

It seems weird to me that I'm a senior in college and will be graduating in under 200 days. That makes the world spin a lot faster than planned and also makes me feel a lot older than I'd like to feel. However, the time has come that I'm supposed to "grow up" and get out of undergrad. Thankfully my time in college has been one of the most enjoyable yet stressful experiences of my life. One that I look back on fondly but am okay to not ever repeat. Well, at least class wise. Looking at my class schedule for this semester, the academic load is heavy but the schedule times are forgiving. HALLELUJAH!

Notice the man laughing in the background.
So glad he thought I was funny!
Women in Pink!
Friday started off with physics at 8 am followed by meeting up with two wonderful chaperones to whisk me away to Acworth, Georgia to speak at the Diva Dessert Luncheon for GTC Give Back 2013. The event was focused and fundraising for breast cancer and breast health, so naturally I was all OVER it. After curling the hair, zipping the dress, and pinning in the crown, I went to the clubhouse and began the "meet and greet" aspect of the event. All of the women were flushed in pink, playing tennis, laughing, and having a great time! At check in, I asked if I could have a pink ribbon to pin to my sash. Even if the ribbon was only a conversation starter, it stood for so much more. I told the ladies about my tumor and they asked questions and I was glad to answer them. After milling around for forty-five minutes, a woman comes running up to me and hands me a corsage and says, "Pin this on!" with no explanation and runs off. I like flowers, so I followed her instructions. Right before my speech, I learned that the flowers symbolized a woman that had been affected by breast cancer. I was so appreciative for their thinking of me. When I stood to speak, you could hear whispers across the room wondering if my flowers were for show or for real. Finding out they were for real, the women were so attentive and responsive to my message. However the most impacting moment came after my speech. Women came to tell me that I had inspired them to go get themselves checked and to get their daughters to take their risk seriously. In that moment, I was humbled and knew that this was my purpose. 

On the left, Leo Bloom. On the right, Max Bialystock!

After the speech, we went to get a haircut from one of my sponsors followed by going to watch The Producers! The play is a Class A+ production and it feels like you are genuinely on Broadway! During Max Bialystock's jail monologue, he does the long pause for intermission and stage whispers, "I heard Miss Cobb County is in the audience tonight.... Ya think I can get her to be a showgirl?!" Needless to say I was laughing so loud and squealing like a little girl! The cast dinner was on Sunday and I was so honored to be able to tell the cast how much I enjoyed their play and genuinely appreciated the hard work they put in. Such a dynamic group in a room together made for a loud and raucous time but those traits made for an even better night!



Live Today.





No comments:

Post a Comment